Thursday, August 26, 2010

30 Days of Truth, day 16 thru 20

Day 16 → Someone or something you definitely could live without.
Having to deal with my husband’s 2 ex’s. I absolutely can not stand having to put up with their crap. There is no good reason for it at all.

Day 17 → A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.

Day 18 → Your views on gay marriage.
I think it shouldn’t matter what I think, or what anyone else thinks. I don’t think that there should be a law or a rule that discriminates against any one particular group of people for any reason. I believe that opens the door to other means of discrimination. A law would not prevent me from being with the person I love. The few gay couples I know have got it right, though. They seem to value their relationships more than straight people do. They seem to know the cost of it better.

Day 19 → What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?
I hate both. There is no room in my world for a single view on anything, and I do not agree that there is only one right way to consider an issue. For all of the “hot button” issues like abortion, gay marriage, prayer in schools, etc. I say just let it be. Its no one elses business. You do what you want, I’ll do what I want and everyone is happy.

Day 20 → Your views on drugs and alcohol.
Hmmm…this is a trick question for me. I am positive that my answers will shock, and even offend many of my friends who may read this.
I am the wife of an alcoholic. Out of respect for my husband, I don’t drink either. Seldom do I ever drink around him, and when I do I ask him if he minds. We try to avoid places where alcohol is being served. Alcohol has cost us thousands of dollars and burned bridges that can’t ever be repaired. It is a daily struggle and I can see the burden that it places on each of us to be in a sober household. Sometimes I wonder if it is more difficult to stay sober, or to drink. I see the balance beam he walks on, the watchful eyes he endures. It is a great amount of pressure to live up to everyone else’s expectations, especially when you would give your last drop of blood to have a beer.
My mother was a narcotic addict. It changed our family. I often wonder what my life might have been like if that had never happened.
I used to take massive quantities of pills, and after my 2nd husband died I drank, a lot, like it was my job. I like to drink. I like the way it makes me feel. I sleep good when I’ve had a couple of glasses of wine. There have been days when I have cried tears because I wanted to drink.
So, I can totally understand how a person would turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with things. It may be the only way, or the best way they have found to get through what ever it is.

No comments: